Print this page

Associate Degrees for Transfer

Students who are awarded an AS-T or AA-T have a transfer degree with a guarantee to the California State University system. These are referred to as Associate Degrees for Transfer. Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (Senate Bill 1440, now coded in California Education Code sections 66746-66749) guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus to any community college student who completes an “associate degree for transfer”, an established variation of the associate degrees traditionally offered at California community colleges. Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) of the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus.

Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements. Any variations to the transfer degrees may not result in a guaranteed admission to the CSU system. If you are CSU or UC bound, be sure the units in the electives will transfer to the receiving college or university. For out-of-state, other universities or independent colleges, check with those schools to see what units they will accept. You can check with the Transfer Counselor if you have any questions. Check out Transfer Planning in the catalog. UC bound students are encouraged to check with the UC Pathways website. Students should check with their counselor to determine the most appropriate general education pattern to follow.

The Historically Black Universities and Colleges also will accept the AD-T with a guarantee. See Transfer Planning section of the catalog for details.

Taft College offers the following Associate Degrees for Transfer:

Administration of Justice 

Art History 


 Business Administration

Early Childhood Education








Studio Art 



The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is granted upon successful completion of a courses in the degree. The following is required for all AD-T degrees for transfer to the California State University system.
  1. Completion of a minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
  2. A minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 (C) in all CSU-transferable coursework, that is courses numbered 1500 and above. Note that while a minimum GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for admission to a CSU, some transfer institutions for certain majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with the transfer counselor, transferring institution for details. Students are advised to check on for the most recent information.
  3. Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an AA-T or AS-T major courses as detailed in section of the catalog under Fields of Student. Please see a counselor for more information.
  4. Certified completion of the California State University CSU GE Breadth or IGETC for some majors. Students pursuing an Associate Degree for Transfer in Biology are eligible to take IGETC for STEM, deferring two lower-division GE courses until after transfer. Students may delay one general education course in Area 3 (Arts and Humanities) and one general education course in Area 4 (Social and Behavioral Sciences). It is strongly recommended students consult with a counselor to determine the most appropriate general education pattern that is most appropriate for their individual educational goals.