Print this page

Grading and Course Numbering

Course Numbering System - Effective Summer II 2008

Courses 1-999 are non-degree applicable and are included in the computation of the cumulative GPA. Courses 1000-1499 are degree applicable and 1500 and above are transferable.

Disclaimer: Not all transfer level courses are transferable to the UC system. Check course description for details. 

Grade Changes

The instructor is required to assign a definite grade based upon the work actually accomplished, regardless of the circumstances that have contributed to the results achieved. The determination of the student’s grade by the instructor is final and shall become a part of their permanent academic record. 

The removal or change of an incorrect grade from a student's record shall only be done upon authorization by the instructor of the course. In the absence of the instructor, or in the cases of fraud, bad faith, or incompetence will the final determination concerning removal or change of grade will be made by the Vice President of Instruction. Any grade change requests made a year or more after the submission of the original grade will go to the Academic Policies and Procedures Committee for consideration. 

Grade Symbols

The instructor of the course shall determine the grade earned by each student in accordance with grading symbols authorized for use by the California Education Code. The determination of the student’s grade by the instructor is final and shall become a part of their permanent academic record.

Evaluative Grades

Symbols Definitions
A Excellent
B Good
C Satisfactory
D Passing, less than satisfactory
F Failing
FW Failing for non-attendance withdrawal

Non-Evaluative Grades

Symbols Definitions
AU Audit Audit Class
I Incomplete Work not completed in semester
IP In Progress Course is still in session
EW Excused Withdrawal
Not computed in GPA
MW Military Withdrawal Withdrawal by reason of military duty 
NG Non-Gradable A non-gradable course
NP No Pass Non satisfactory
P Pass Indicates satisfactory or better
RD Report Delayed Grade not reported
SP Satisfactory Progress  Completion of noncredit courses
UG Ungraded Not graded
W Withdrawal Withdrawal from class 

I (Incomplete)

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor in such cases of incomplete academic work for unforeseeable, emergency and justifiable reasons at the end of the term which may result in an “I” symbol being entered in the student’s record.

Conditions for removing the incomplete shall be stated by the instructor in a written record contract that must contain the conditions for removing the “I” and the grade assigned in lieu of its removal. A copy of this written record contract must be given to the student and the original copy filed with the Academic Records Office. A final grade shall be assigned and updated at the Academic Records Department by the instructor when the work stipulated has been completed and evaluated, or when the time limit for completing the work has passed and updating it with the grade previously assigned by the instructor.

The “I” may be made up no later than one semester following the end of the term in which the instructor assigned it, unless a petition for a time extension is granted. (summer session does not count.) Ex: If “I” is assigned in the spring semester, the student has until the end of the fall semester to complete the coursework. The “I” symbol shall not be used in calculating units attempted or for grade points.

IP (In Progress)

The “IP” symbol denotes that the course is still in session or class extends beyond the normal end of an academic term. It indicates that work is “in progress” but that the work must be completed before a grade is assigned. The “IP” symbol shall remain on the student’s permanent record in order to satisfy enrollment documentation. The appropriate evaluative grade and unit credit shall be assigned and appear on the student’s record at the end of the term in which the course is completed. The “IP” shall not be used in calculating grade point averages.

RD (Report Delayed)

The “RD” is a symbol assigned by the Registrar only. It is to be used when there is a delay in reporting the grade of a student due to circumstances beyond the control of the student. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent symbol as soon as possible. “RD” shall not be used in calculating grade point averages.

W (Withdrawal)

Students can drop or withdraw from classes via their Cougar Tracks account or by bringing a completed Drop Form (instructor's signature is not required) to the Counseling Desk in the Student Services Building.  Students will receive a W grade, if they drop a class after the last day to drop without a W. W grades are not considered punitive, though a student’s subsequent Financial Aid eligibility and Academic Progress Evaluation may be affected. Classes cannot be dropped after the deadline to receive a W; students who are still enrolled after the last day to drop must receive a letter grade (A-FW or P/NP). Please see current Add/Drop schedule for course specific deadline dates.

Students may be dropped from classes by the instructor if they do not attend the first or second class meeting or for excessive absences. However, students are ultimately responsible for withdrawing from the class and immediately verifying the completion of the process that they no longer plan to attend. Failure to do so can result in a failing grade being issued by the instructor and charges being issued for the class.

Per Title 5 of the California Education Code, students are restricted to receive a maximum of 3-W grades in the same course and will be restricted from registering for the course again. The student will need to meet with a Counselor for other possible options.

EW (Excused Withdrawal)

The "EW" shall not be counted in progress probation or dismissal calculations nor shall it be counted towards the permitted number of withdrawals or counted as an enrollment attempt. For the purposes of the Federal Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy, an EW grade will be counted as units attempted. Therefore, students who are approved to receive an EW will not be entitled to a refund.

*The financial aid eligibility of a student may be affected depending on individual circumstance. A student should consult with the financial aid staff regarding any impact. 

MW (Military Withdrawal)

The “MW” shall be assigned when a student is a member of an active or reserve United States military service and receives orders compelling a withdrawal from all courses. Upon verification of such orders, this symbol may be assigned at any time after the period established by the governing board during which no notation is made for withdrawals. The “MW” shall not be counted in the permitted number of withdrawals, progress probation or dismissal calculations.